Thursday 22 November 2012

Silver Linings Playbook


Written & directed by David O. Russell
Starring Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro, Jacki Weaver, Chris Tucker, Julia Stiles, and John Ortiz

I don’t see a lot of “good movies.” These days they’re all by-the-numbers biopics or tearjerkers launched in late-November or early-December, pandering to Oscar voters with their hot-shit production design, self-importance, and bombast. Plus if I try to drink during any of these movies I get shushed. Harsh.

Until last night Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was my favourite movie this year. Now, this movie is. I’m sort of at a loss though. Silver Linings Playbook is so good that I don’t want to write about it. I just want to leave it be, you know. Let it just be out there, doing its thing.

I will only say go see it. Trust me, alright? I know I talk a lot of smack on this column and tend to judge the quality of a film on whether girls take their gear off and people get brutally owned (preferably by Jean-Claude Van Damme), but if there’s ever a time to take me seriously, this is it.

Just go see the movie because everyone in it is terrific and everything about it is terrific. It will win over the coldest of hearts. It is unassuming and funny and delightful. Trust me. Off you go.

1 comment: